In many states, parents who are getting divorced may seek either sole or joint custody of their children when determining who makes decisions for them. Parents in Texas can do the same, but they often call these child custody arrangements sole or joint managing conservatorships.

So, a sole managing conservator basically has sole custody of the children, meaning this parent is in charge of making important decisions for them. They usually get child support from the other parent since the children are in their care most of the time. The other parent is called a possessory conservator and can usually get visitation with the kids. If you are thinking about pursuing sole managing conservatorship of your children in Texas, here’s how to get started.

What Decisions Is a Sole Managing Conservator in Charge of?

First, you should know that you will be making the majority of decisions for your kids when you’re the sole managing conservator. For instance, you will decide on the following for your children:

• Where they will attend school
• What kinds of medical treatment they get
• Where they will live
• Whether they can get married before the age of 18

Make sure you are comfortable making these and other decisions with little input from the other parent. If you are, then you need to hire a Texas family law lawyer to apply for this custody arrangement.

Why Do Some Parents Pursue This Type of Custody?

It’s common for judges to encourage joint managing conservatorships so that both parents make decisions about the children. However, in some cases, it’s better for just one parent to be in charge of these choices. For instance, if the other parent has neglected or abused the children, a judge will typically not agree to let them have sole or joint managing conservatorship.

Similarly, if the other parent regularly abuses drugs or alcohol, or has been largely absent from the life of the children, a judge will probably not give that parent the right to make decisions for the kids.

How Can You Be Appointed the Sole Managing Conservator?

If you want to be the sole managing conservator, you will have to prove that this is in the best interests of your children. You can do this by showing evidence that the other parent has neglected, abused, or shown little interest in the lives of the kids.

If the children are older and have a preference on which parent they want to live with, the judge may take their wishes into consideration, as well. To learn more about this custody arrangement or to get started on your case, contact our Texas law firm today at (817) 813-8513.